Wednesday, May 23, 2007

New York, New York

They are showing Martin Scorcese movies on Sony Pix this month. I saw New York, New York a few days back. I hate musicals, even the funny ones. But this is one of the few musicals I have liked apart from Moulin Rouge. Robert De Niro plays a jazz music composer running a band in which his wife played by Liza Minelli is the lead singer. He has a nasty temper and is, as one character puts it, "a top pain in the ass." But he has enormous talent. There isn't much of a plot or a story, but the screenplay is gripping. The song sequences are excellent and so is the acting, not just by De Niro who is great in every movie he does, but also by the other actors. Admittedly, De Niro's acting is a bit over the top at times. But I wasn't very irritated by that. I suggest you catch this movie on DVD.